OST and PST files are called data files that contain user mailbox data. Microsoft Outlook consists of an OST and a PST file. The Outlook files are dependent on the configuration of the account. There are two ways to configure Outlook: IMAP and POP. When Outlook is configured with IMAP, the data files are created as an OST file. And if Outlook is configured with POP, then the Outlook data files are created as PST files. To Export OST files to PST keep reading the blog post.
So, lots of users go with the OST file because they can work even when Outlook is offline. OST files contain all the mailbox data files like emails (inbox and sent box), journals, calendars, etc. Users can create new mailboxes or folders in offline mode.
The question that arises is how to import an OST file into a PST file with or without software. And this is why it’s important to export OST files to PST format. Let’s find out the reason and ways of conversion.
Reasons for Converting an OST File to PST
There are multiple reasons behind the conversion of an OST file to PST, like backup OST file, corruption, job change, data migration, etc. These are the reasons users convert OST to PST.
How to Export OST Files to PST?
A user could use the manual method to convert OST to PST. In this post, we will provide users with the method of conversion in two ways. You will need to connect to the exchange server for this method. Please make sure you download Outlook on your PC.
Technique 1: Export Mailbox to PST File
- Log in to your Outlook account with exchange credentials.
- Navigate to the File menu.
- Click on the Open & Export menu and select Import & Export from the
- Choose Export to a file from the Choose an action to perform menu, then click Next.
- Click Next after selecting the Outlook data file (.pst) from the
- Generate a file type drop-down menu.
- Select the folder you wish to export and press Next.
- Set the file’s path as well as whether or not duplicate entries should be exported.
- Now, click the Finish button.
Technique 2: Through the Archive Way
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Select Advanced from the Select Options menu.
- Select the Auto Archive option.
- Set the number of days to run the auto-archive
- Fill in the location and click the OK button.
Using these two techniques, users are able to export OST files to PST.
Manual Methods have Some Drawbacks.
- Data loss while conversion
- Long step processes
- Unable to repair OST file
OST to PST Converter Software Solution
Here we suggest you use the freesoftvare OST to PST converter. This software is capable of repairing corrupted OST files. The free OST to PST converter helps you recover OST files by converting them into Outlook PST files. It is easy to use and convert with software in many formats like EML, MSG, PST, etc. The trial version can convert 25 files per folder.
Let’s see the steps to convert OST to PST.
- Download and install the free OST to PST converter.
- Next, use the tool panel to navigate the OST file.
- Now you can see the preview of the OST file in the panel.
- Select “PST” from the drop-down menu and click “Export.”
- After conversion, save the exported file as an.pst file.
In conclusion, we talked about the techniques and methods with or without software. Now choose the desired option based on your needs. We always suggest going for the manual method if you have a small number of files but make sure you took the backup before resuming the process. Or use the OST to PST converter for tension-free conversion.